Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Family

Family cannot be picked like our friends. Family is the ones whom you can depend on when times get rough. For example, when my van when out, our niece allowed me to use her car. That is a big deal. I have been able to have my freedom, and sense of security. I do not have to rely on anyone, or be afraid. Afraid of feeling stranded, all alone and no way to get out.

Trauma can bring on the feelings I described. At the age of 13 my parents went on a trip and relied on one of my older sisters to pick me up from work. I was working at a grill counter in a small pharmacy in a very bad neighborhood at night. During the day it was okay, people shopped and walked around in ease. But come nightfall, the low income housing behind the store was a very scary hood.

The stores all closed before dark, and I was closing the grill by myself. At the age of 13, always dependable one. I waited for my sister to come and get me. The day turned to night and I was still sitting by myself outside the pharmacy. This was before cell phones and I had no idea which bar she was at. I sat and watched around me getting more scared by the second. I could not walk home it was over 10 miles.

The grill customers were the almost always the same people. Older men who tried to hit on me, at the age of 13. I was very nervous around them, and was not happy to see them outside of the pharmacy. I was trying to hide myself, but a truck pulled up and out stepped one of the older men I was not comfortable with. My heart stopped!

He asked me what I was doing sitting her after dark. "Waiting on my sister to come and pick me up." I replied in a shaking voice. Suddenly he became very protective, and said " This is not a good neighborhood, so I will sit with you until she arrives.".

We had to wait another 30 minutes before she arrived, speeding like a maniac in the parking lot, Screaming " I forgot you, I am so sorry!". I just cried, and she felt bad, but the damage had been done. Ever since that day, I will not go without my own vehicle. The fear is always there.

So for our niece to allow me to use her car, is a very big deal to me!!! I do not know how to thank her. What do you get for someone who has given me a piece of sanity? Hopefully I will think of something.

No comments:

Post a Comment